Alright, lads? Long time no see. Thought I’d pop in, check how things were, then probably head off with promises that’ll see you again soon. But I don’t really mean it, just like your dad when he popped out for some fags all those years ago.
Anyway. Here’s some good Mexicanny pulled pork. It goes well with enough frozen margaritas to knock out a chupacabra.
- 2kg shoulder of pork – it seems like a lot, it isn’t. Feeds three drunk people EASY. I usually use 3/4kg and rarely have leftovers
- Bottle of Sol or Corona or similar
- One of those little jars of chipotle paste, about 100g
- Big heaped tablespoon of SMOKED paprika, don’t fuck about
- Tablespoon of dried oregano
- Half a tablespoon of cumin
- Four to six cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed with the flat of a knife
I serve mine with wraps or buns, cos lettuce leaves and posho supermarket coleslaw because like I have time to be chopping cabbage in my busy and interesting life.
This takes a bit of time, about 10 hours on low in a slow cooker. If you don’t have one, a big casserole in a low oven would do it, but then you have the ballache of not being able to leave the house.
Cut as much of the fat off the pork as possible with a very sharp knife. You don’t have to waste it: my friend George made this and turned it into some epic crackling. He may even give you the recipe for if you ask nicely enough.
Pop everything else in the slow cooker, give it a stir to mix it all up, put your pork in and, well, you may as well make a start on the tequila, you don’t have to do anything else.
After around eight or nine hours give it a stir and break the meat up. If it is still very wet then whack up the temperature and leave the lid off until it’s less of a stew.
Eat very neatly if you are my best friend Charlotte:
Or like a total mess if you are me: